Saturday, April 17, 2010

Little Wonders

Well, I finished the $2 A Day Challenge. It. Was. So. COOL!! Seriously. I highly recommend getting involved if you ever get the opportunity. Keep in mind that I am not a happy camper at all-literally. I hate being cold, and not being able to shower. Feeling dirty absolutely freaks me out. But weirdly enough, that was the only part that I did not like. I absolutely loved how free I felt. It was so cool to just lounge around outside all day. Basically all I did was read-which is pretty much my favorite thing to do anyways, so I was in heaven. The food was not exactly 5 star cuisine, but it was surprisingly better than I expected. And I felt so humble, and so simple... And not in a bad way either. Living that way really made life feel a lot simpler. And feeling (and looking) so grungy really helped to me to learn to not really care. Not that I'm going to stop showering, or anything. That's just plain crazy talk! To be honest I walked away with two feelings. First, I felt a true sense of empathy towards those in poverty. To me, this was a fun little experiment. I was completely safe, well-fed, and warm. My dorm was less than 5 minutes away, should I need anything, and I was getting three square meals a day. Those who are truly poor do not have these reassurances. And that really hit home for me. And secondly, I now have really started to appreciate the small pleasures in life. Things like a warm shower, comfortable bed, nice dorm room, and three square meals a day were never really things I stopped to thank God for. I took them for granted, I'll admit. But being deprived of them-even for 3 days-really made me stop to thank God for all that He has truly blessed me with. I don't deserve ANY of it. So, in closing, I will definitely thank Him as I fall asleep tonight for the warm, cozy bed I'm laying in. And secondly, I will NEVER complain about the caf again. Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment