Monday, April 4, 2011

On Vulnerability


As Henry Nouwen once said, "The most personal is the most universal." Something God has really been teaching me these past few weeks is the power of vulnerability. And as I discover myself more and more, I've come to realize how much I detest being vulnerable. This has made for quite a few interesting experiences, as I allow myself to open up more and more. God has been bringing more people in my life who open themselves up, calling for me to open myself and relate. You know, deep cries out to deep, and all that. I don't know where this deep fear of vulnerability came from, but it's beginning to affect my relationships, both long and developing. The most I can say is that I guess I take Proverbs 4: 23 too seriously when it says, "Keep your heart with all diligence, for out of it spring the issues of life." I keep interpreting this to mean, "Maintain an aloof facade at all times, and keep everyone at arm's length at all cost." While being vulnerable does not mean I should start emotionally vomiting on everyone who approaches me, or that I should start throwing myself at boys, there is a power that comes from opening up and relating to others. As C.S. Lewis once wrote, "Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, 'What! You too? I thought I was the only one.'" True vulnerability is key to true relationships, and as God once made Himself open and vulnerable to us, (even unto death-check out 1 John 3:16!) so we are called to open ourselves up to Him and to others. God is faithful, when we obey and strive to imitate Him. As Psalm 25:9-10 says, "He guides the humble (vulnerable!) in what is right and teaches them His way. All the ways of the Lord are loving and faithful for those who keep His covenant."

No comments:

Post a Comment