Friday, January 7, 2011

Love and War


I got Love and War by John and Stasi Eldredge for Christmas this year. I'm pretty sure my parents thought it was really weird that I wanted a book about marriage, when I'm nowhere even close to getting married. But I adored this book. This one passage in particular brought me to tears, and I now use it to pray for my husband, wherever he is.

"... It began to dawn on me that all my past experiences uniquely qualified me to partner in this project with this uniquely qualified man. Something deep in my soul was coming alive as we continued to envision what it was that God has placed in our hearts to do. The revelation came that I am the right woman for this man. I realized that God had put us together; that I was particularly suited to him and that he was particularly suited for me. It was not by accident, mere chemistry, sexual attraction, or some bizarre alignment of the stars that we had been drawn together and gotten married. It was planned in the heart of God. We were made for each other. God had brought us together for a reason; the whole of who we were-our life experiences, our unique desires, our spiritual gifts, our talents, even the man and woman we were on the road to becoming-all this fit together in a way that made sense. We had a purpose, we shared a calling; we needed each other. It gave me a vision for our life together; the future God was calling us into. Hope and purpose, clarity and desire, all rose in my heart."

No comments:

Post a Comment