Tuesday, August 30, 2011

A Song For This Year


And so begins another year. I'm beginning my Junior year of college (where did the time go!?). My classes are fine and my course load is a lot easier than it was last semester (which is not saying much as last semester kicked my butt). I'm excited for all that God has in store for this year for me. Yet as I sat in my room today contemplating all that is in store for this year, I began stressing about all that I have to do, both in this week and in this coming semester. It wasn't until my iPod "randomly" shuffled onto a certain song that I began to calm down. God has a way of breaking through right when I'm at my most vulnerable and He certainly came through today! As I listened to the lyrics of this song, I was struck by the simple truth of it, and was faced with what God wants me to focus on completely this semester: HIM. My heart is so prone to wander and to focus on the fleeting, unimportant stuff of today. Jesus was calling me in that moment to focus only on Him this coming semester. This may seem much more trite than it really was. All I need to do this semester is fall deeper in love with my God! Instantly a load was taken off my shoulders. As I contemplated the last verse of this song, the Lord brought to mind a promise that He had made me at the beginning of last year: that He would guard my heart if I just obeyed Him and followed where He led me. He reminded me not only of that promise today, but also of His faithfulness in keeping it. Here is the song that will be echoing in my heart this coming year. I'm so excited to experience God in a much deeper way.

Come Thou Fount of every blessing,
Tune my heart to sing Thy grace;
Streams of mercy, never ceasing,
Call for songs of loudest praise.
Teach me some melodious sonnet
Sung by flaming tongues above.
Praise the mount, I'm fixed upon it,
Mount of Thy redeeming love.

Here I raise my Ebenezer;
Here by Thy great help I've come.
And I hope by Thy good pleasure
Safely to arrive at home.
Jesus sought me while a stranger
Wandering from the fold of God.
He to rescue me from danger,
Interposed His precious blood.

O to grace how great a debtor
Daily I'm constrained to be.
Let Thy goodness, like a fetter,
Bind my wandering heart to Thee.
Prone to wander, Lord, I feel it.
Prone to leave the God I love;
Here's my heart, Lord, take and seal it,
Seal it for Thy courts above.

1 comment:

  1. Love this song <3 Sang it under the starry night sky in the Redwood forest this summer while having a campfire at Mt. Hermon. I love that last chorus as well!

    ReplyDelete